The Secrets behind French Beauty Skin Care
French women are known not only for the amazing sense of style, but also for their beautiful skin. How do they manage to have such glowing healthy skin throughout their lives? What French beauty secrets are they hiding???
To begin with, French Women know that being beautiful is not only about looking beautiful, but more importantly about FEELING beautiful and confident.
French women do not see taking care of their skin as a luxury, but as a necessity. Even regular spa facials aren’t treated as a luxury. Same as taking care of themselves… Playing sports, getting enough sleep, eating well and drinking lots of water are all essentials to looking their best.
French women do not have elaborate beauty routines that cost hundreds of dollars a year. Mostly, they shop for a few quality products purchased at their local pharmacy, where the knowledgeable staff helps them choose according to their skin needs. They will often stick to these same products for years.
But most importantly, they start taking care of their skin at an early age. Prevention rather than intervention. And once the wrinkles start coming in as they inevitably will, the French embrace them with grace as a sign of a life well lived.
With such great skin, French women keep the makeup light. A touch of lipstick, and smudge of eyeliner, and they are ready to begin their day. They are striving for a simple natural look that is just a slightly more polished version of themselves, not a complete redo. Less-is-more!
Why not give the gift of Frenchiness to yourself or a loved one by picking up some of the French cult beauty favorites?
If you are lucky enough to be in France, just stop by any “Para-Pharmacie”, or if in Paris try the “City Pharma” for great prices and knock-offs of the most popular products (26 rue du Four 75006 Paris, Metro Ligne 4 and 10).
Otherwise, purchase either directly from the manufacturer’s website, or on Amazon.
French Beauty Secrets – in alphabetic order by Manufacturer
- A-Derma Epitheliale A.H – Effectively heals superficial skin damage.
- Avène Thermal Spring Water Spray – Soothes, softens and calms the skin.
- Avène Cicalfate crème – Protects and restores damaged skin.
- Avène PhysioLift Yeux Crème – Anti aging eye cream.
- Avène Cleansing Gel – Soap free gel cleanser for face and body.
- Cicabiafine Daily Hydrating Balm – A balm for treating irritated skin conditions.
- Cicabiafine Crème pieds secs anti-fendillements – Excellent for dry cracked skin on the heels and feet.
- Biafine Emulsion – Water-based emulsion that stimulates cell regrowth. Used for sunburns, and minor abrasions. Widely used by French women a moisturizer and night-time mask. Can even be used to plump up the lips before applying lipsticks.
- Bioderma Crealine H2O Micelle Solution – A gentle but thorough makeup remover.
- Bioderma Cicabio – Gentle cream soothes irritation and helps fade scars.
- Bioderma Hydrobio Riche – Perfect for dehydrated skin. Handy for those that travel often.
- Bioderma Hydrobio Légère- Super extra rehydrating lotion for very most dehydrated skin.
- Homeoplasmine Oitment /Homeostick – A multi-purpose ointment that soothes, protects and moisturises the skin. Used by French women for both cracked lips and as face primer for those with an oily complexion. Also in stick form.
- Various Homeopathic medicines – THE brand used by the French.
- Cattier Ventilated Green or White Clay – Green Clay is used in facial masks and for poultices, for its beneficial effect. Absorbent, purifying and regenerating. The White Clay version is for those with sensitive or mature skin.
- CAUDALIE Beauty Elixir – An anti-dullness complexion treatment that tightens and brightens the skin. Excellent base for makeup.
- Caudalie Polyphenol C15 Overnight Detox Oil – Renews and protects tired-looking skin while you sleep.
- Caudalie Vinosource Moisturising Sorbet – This lightweight gel moisturizer has an immediate and long-lasting calming and soothing action. It reactivates skin’s hydration mechanisms to restore moisture.
- Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch – makeup base and primer provides a fine, melting texture that conceals lines, pores, and imperfections.
- Clarins Instant Smooth Line Correcting Concentrate – Rich in dermaxyl to target fine lines, wrinkles and enlarged pores.
- Decleor Aromessence Neroli Essential Serum – Hydrates, repairs and boosts the skin’s resiliency and alleviates redness and inflammation.
- Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang Purifying Serum – Purifying super serum reduces excess sebum and shine for oily skin types.
- Embryolisse Concentrated Lait Cream – A primer, moisturizer, and gentle make-up remover. Hydrates, softens and protects the skin barrier. It can also reduce irritation after shaving.
- Klorane Dry Shampoo With Oat Milk – Cleanses and refreshes hair between washes.
- Klorane Camomille Shampoo – Ultra-gentle shampoo that naturally lightens & brightens.
- Klorane Smoothing & Relaxing Eye Patches – Soothes and softens skin around the eye refreshes, moisturizes and brightens.
- Colossol Lait Nettoyant – Super gentle milk cleanser for face and even babies, does not need to be rinsed. Can be used as a makeup remover.
- ialuset Cream – Originally used for skin repair, it has become a fantastic product for those who suffer from dry skin. Layer it beneath your regular moisturizer in the morning, or apply a thick layer at bedtime for extra skin plumping and smoothing.
- La Roche-Posay Redermic – An anti-aging formula that visibly reduces upper lip, forehead and crow’s-feet wrinkles.
- La Roche‑Posay Effaclar Duo – Perfect solution for adult acne, non drying oil free lotion contains Micronized Benzoyl Peroxide (5.5%) to fight acne deep in the skin.
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Deep Cleansing Foaming Cream – Exfoliating Astringent Facial Toner tightens pores.
- La Roche-Posay Serozinc – Soothes and cleanses skin irritations, razor burn, heals skin imperfections. Perfect for baby’s bottom epidermal treatment (after cleansing with mild soap).
- L’Occitane Almond Shower Oil – Body cleanser rich in almond oil and features a foaming oil-to-milk texture that leaves skin satiny-smooth.
- L’Occitane 20% Shea Butter Hand Cream – Non greasy formula that nourishes, hydrates & heals cracked, very dry hands.
- Melvita Huile Extraordinaire L’Or Bio – Nourishing hair, body, and skin dry oil.
- Mustela Hydra Bébé – Daily moisturizing lotion specially formulated for the delicate skin of babies and newborns providing lasting hydration while reinforcing the skin barrier.
- NUXE Rêve de Miel Face and Body Ultra-Rich Cleansing Gel – Ultra rich creamy soap-free cleansing gel for face and body with soothing honey.
- NUXE Huile Prodigieuse Multi-Purpose Dry Oil – Multi-Purpose Dry Oil nourishes, repairs and softens face, body, and hair in a single step.
- Nuxe Reve De Miel Ultra Nourishing Lip Balm – Highly concentrated in ingredients that help to nourish, repair, soothe and protect lips.
- Sérum et Crème Repulpant Fondamental – A luxurious and potent organic beauty line, products helps firm, plump and fill in wrinkles.
- Contour Des Yeux Eclat – Radiant eye contour specifically designed for the particularly demanding eye contour area to help combat crow’s feet, under-eye bags, loss of elasticity, and tired eyes.
- Phytodefrisant Straightening Balm – Heat activated botanical straightening balm that preps hair for the ultimate frizz-free, sleek blowout.
- Phyto Subtil Elixir Intense Nutrition Shine Oil – Intense nourishing pre-shampoo oil treatment that restores dry, very dry, or damaged hair to vibrant health.
- Rogé Cavailles Gel bain et douche Surgras – Bath and shower gel cleanses and nourishes even the most sensitive dry skins.
- Rogé Cavailles Savon Surgras et Extra Dous – Extra mild and superfatty soap perfect for entire family from babies to the elderly.
- Roger & Gallet Savon Parfumé Rose – Gentle soap scented with Rose
- Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina (Extra-Vieille) Eau De Cologne – Classic French cologne perfect for both men and women.
- Bardane and Bourrache supplements – natural supplements for making your skin beautiful starting with the inside out. Take one of each daily for two months.
- Vidal A 313 Pommade Vitamine A (Retinol Cream) – Treats wrinkles, fine lines, stretch marks, enlarged pores, firms the skin. Contains 200,000 IU of synthetic vitamin A and can be mixed into your favorite serum.
Did you recognize any of the brands? Have you tried any of these “cult” products? Do you have a favorite that is not listed here?
Looking for a one stop shopping resource for many of the above? Try www.lefrenchskincare.com.
The French “Je ne sais quoi…”
soigné – adjective soi·gné \swän-ˈyā\
Dressed very elegantly; well-groomed. Possessing an aura of sophistication in dress, manner, or design. Presented or prepared with an elegance attained through care of the finer details.
If you are really looking for that French “je ne sais quoi“, try adding some pizzazz to your regular beauty routine. Try a deep red lipstick, fabulous shoes, a bright scarf, a new haircut (simple but perfectly cut), and your signature fragrance (pick one if you don’t have one!). You’ll be looking happy, confident, and attractive…
…just like a French Woman.
Happy (beautiful) Travels,
-Girl Gone Gallic
For my Pinterest friends…