Did you know???
For a period of six weeks in the winter and again in spring, France’s retailers put their lingering unsold stock on sale for the savvy to pick up at serious discounts. From Wednesday January 11th through Tuesday February 21st, 2017.
Clearance sales began with the advent of the first department stores in Paris, the earliest dating back to 1784. Retailers needed a way to dispose of surplus inventory to clear the way for new merchandise. An idea dreamed up by François Mannoury to spur buying, the first official clearance sales were held at the “Petit Saint Thomas” in the mid 1800’s. He was also the creator and first to offer sales by correspondence.
Sales Season Facts
- Sales Season always begin at 8am – In the winter on the second Wednesday in January, and in the summer the last Wednesday of June.
- 26 million french shoppers (or 72% of the french population) will purchase something during the sale season.
- Each shopper spends on average 223 euros per sale season
- The majority of shoppers (73%) will purchase at least part of their loot online
- Sales Season is the only time where retailers are allowed to sell items at a loss and use the actual term “sale” (but they can at other times say “discounts”, so it seems just like splitting hairs to me).
- Best deals typically are for fashion and electronics
Buyers Beware: Some unscrupulous retailers fabricate items of lesser quality for these sales, a practice which is strictly forbidden.
Online shopping tip
Quantities and sizes are limited, so do all your shopping a few days before the sales start and save to your virtual shopping basket. Then, on the first day of the sales – at exactly 8am – pass your order! This is your best chance to not be disappointed and get exactly what you want. Beat your less organized competition and bring home the gold (spike heels?)!!!
I’ve already started with some online shopping myself since I can’t get in the stores right now. Some new earrings sound just about right to bring a little sunshine into winter.
So…which should I get???
Or maybe a statement necklace instead?
Why not hop on the Eurostar to London and hit their winter sales? Just 2.5 hours from Paris! Winter Sales begin the day after Christmas and run until January 31st with discounts reaching as high as 80% the last week (closed Sundays). Check out snap.eurostar.com for amazing discounts on last-minute Eurostar tickets. For the best shopping be sure to check out Oxford Street, Regent Street, Picadilly Circus, or Coven Garden – all served by their own metro station.
A little humor for my francophone viewers…
Did you heed the call and brave the crowds to go shopping? Did the shopping gods shine down on you with a magnificent find? Where you like to shop during the sales? Do you online shop? What was your best ever all time sales shopping find?
Happy (Shopping) Travels,
-Girl Gone Gallic